Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Minecraft inspired speech room


If you live anywhere other than under a rock, chances are you've probably heard of Minecraft.  If you're a school-based SLP, you probably have students who play it. And if you're like me, you have both students and sons who are obsessed with it. See exhibit A:
Yes, I made him a Minecraft Creeper cake. I stole this idea from thatneatblog.com. 

We SLPs are always looking for ways to connect with our students and engage them in conversation. What better way to engage them all year long than surround them with their interests. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Right? So I give you the Minecraft-inspired speech room. 
The door. It's a little busy, but I like it. The little signs, block letters and penant were all downloaded from ZisforZebra's TpT store. It's an editable pack, y'all. Get it here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Minecraft-Classroom-Decoration-Organization-Mega-Pack-Editable--1260608

And this grammar chart is directly from ZisforZebra's editable pack as well:
Don't you love that fun duct tape?!!? I do!

Tissue boxes.

 
Hand sanitizer that says 'germs are creepy' on the other side. My amazing student intern created this.

Fans. 

Above the homework chart.


Saw a really cool Minecraft bulletin board on Pinterest. I just had to give it a go. It says 'mine for speech and language' in the clouds.

 I plan to have my students complete and post this visual aid as a reminder of their speech/language goals for the school year. We will post them around the bulletin board. You can grab my goal visual aid for FREE at my TpT store here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Minecraft-speech-goals-1406655

And don't forget to grab my FREE student desk reminder card featuring Steve here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Minecraft-Steve-desk-reminder-1409013 

One last look at it all. That's son #2 at the PC. No, he wasn't playing Minecraft right then. 
So there you have it. I hope my students love it. Most of all, I hope it will motivate them to work hard on their speech/language goals! I have a great group this year (as I do every year) and we are ready to craft our speech and language skills! 

P.S. I plan to use Liz Haider's Minecraft therapy materials next week, too. Get them here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Minecraft-for-Language-1234838





2 comments: